Ch. 35. Raja Yogas
1. This science is mainly useful to rulers. Hence I explain in this Ch. the configurations, that make one a king.
2. KINGLY/WEALTHY YOGAS. One born in a royal scion will become a ruler, if 3, or 4 planets, with strength, occupy their exaltation/Mulatrikona Signs at birth. If 5, or 6 planets be so placed, even a person of mean birth will attain rulership. If one, or two heavenly bodies be so, the native will only be rich, being equal to a king, but not really be a king.
3. According to Yavanas, if only malefics are exalted, the native will become a king indulging, in cruel deeds. But, as per Jeevasarma, such planets will make one valorous, but not a king. One with such a Yoga (according to Kalyanavarma) will be honoured and will become the head of a region.
4. Explained below are the Yogas, that will make even a person of base birth a king, according to Shastras.
5. If all the four of the Sun, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter, or three of them, be exalted and one of them be simultaneously in the Ascendant, a total of 16 kinds of Raja Yogas are formed. One born even in a mean caste with such a Yoga will become a ruler. Again a different group of 16 Raja Yogas are formed, if one, or two out of the above four planets are in exaltation, while one of the exalted planets occupies the Ascendant, as the Moon remains in Cancer. According to great sages, these 32 Yogas will make one a ruler, who reigns the whole earth, as though it is just a garden.
6. If at the time of birth either the Ascendant, or the Moon be in Vargothama Navāńśa and be in aspect to 5, or 6 planets other than the Moon (when the Ascendant being considered) one will become a king in spite of his having taken birth in a mean family.
7. If at birth Aries be the Ascendant containing the Moon, Mars and Jupiter one will become an emperor of the whole earth encircled by the seas and the Udayagiri (i.e. the mountain, from which the Sun etc. are supposed to rise) and will roaringly destroy his enemies.
8. Should Jupiter be in Cancer, while Mars occupies Aries identical with the Ascendant, or should both Jupiter and Mars be in Aries Ascendant, the native will become a ruler whose enemies dare not approach him, while his minister will be favourable to him.
9. Should the Moon be in the 11th House along with Venus and Jupiter, while Aries, Capricorn and Virgo are occupied by their Lords, one born in Virgo Ascendant will doubtlessly become a very knowledgeable king.
10. If Cancer Ascendant contain the Moon with full bright rays, while the 7th, 6th, 4th, 10th and 3rd are, respectively, occupied by Mercury, Sun, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn, the native will become a ruler. Simultaneously Mars should be conjunct Saturn.
11. Should Taurus ascend at birth with the Full Moon, as Aquarius, Leo and Scorpio are tenanted, respectively, by Saturn, the Sun and Jupiter, the native will become a king with abundant riches and with conveyances.
12. If Capricorn Ascendant birth along with Saturn, while Pisces, Gemini, Virgo and Sagittarius are, respectively, occupied by the Moon, Mars, Mercury and Jupiter, one will become a ruler equal to Indra, Lord of the Lords.
13. If the Moon is in Pisces identical with Ascendant, while Capricorn, Aquarius and Leo are in their order occupied by Mars, Saturn and the Sun, one will become a ruler well versed in all arts.
14. One will become an unconquerable king, with knowledge of the Vedas, if he takes birth in Capricorn Ascendant with exalted Mars, if it opposed by Full Moon in Cancer.
15. If exalted Sun is in the Ascendant along with the Moon, the native will become a ruler, who will be endowed with pleasing appearance and with whose very reminiscence the enemies will shed tears and will sparkle fire of grief in their hearts.
16. Should Venus, Mars and Jupiter by respective]y placed in Aquarius, Aries and Cancer, one born so will become a king spreading his fame to all the directions.
17. If the planet Jupiter, with the splendour of heated yellow metal, be in Cancer identical with Ascendant, while the Sun is in the 10th in Aries and the Moon, Mercury and Venus are in Taurus (in the 11th), one will conquer the entire earth with his own prowess.
18. The native will become a king, if the Moon occupies Sagittarius along with Jupiter, while Mars occupies Capricorn and Mercury in Virgo in Ascendant.
19. If the Luminaries occupy the first half of Sagittarius, while Saturn is exalted, with exceeding strength, in Libra Ascendant and Mars is in Capricorn, one will become a ruler whose valour will provoke only honour from his foes.
20-21. CHANDRADHI YOGA. Adhi Yoga is caused by all benefics being in the 6th, 7th and 8th from the Moon. These Houses should exclude the Sun and not receive any aspect from malefics. One born with this Yoga will become a king possessing a kingdom boundaried by seas whose band of intoxicated elephants will eke out ichor, which the black forest bees will drink (mistaking the ichor to be flower's honey). Such a native will be immune to senescence and sickness, be bereft of fear from enemies, be valorous, fortunate and happy.
22. Mercury in exaltation in the Ascendant, the Moon and Jupiter in Pisces, Mars and Saturn in Capricorn, while Venus is in Gemini: this configuration will produce a ruler destroying his enemies. The dust formed by the movements of his elephant Army will darken the entire earth.
23. One will become a king with the following planetary configuration prevailing at the time of birth: The Sun and Jupiter in Leo, Saturn in Aquarius, the Moon in Taurus, Mars in Scorpio and the Ascendant in Aries.
24. A famous king will be produced, if Aries be the Ascendant at birth along with the Sun therein, Jupiter be in Sagittarius and the Moon with Saturn is in Libra.
25. If the three planets, viz. Jupiter, Mercury and Venus occupy such Rāśis, which are angular to their respective own Rāśis and be in the process conjunct Saturn, Mars and the Sun, while the Moon is in Taurus, the native will become a king purifying the (four) directions with his unstained fame. The native born in Aries Ascendant with the Sun in deep exaltation will rule the earth boundaried by the seas.
26. Should the Moon be in the 4th House simultaneously falling in a watery Navāńśa and be with all her splendour, while a benefic is in its own House identical with the Ascendant and malefics are away from Angles, a king is born.
27. The Moon in the state of her Fullness, if be in aspect to Venus, Jupiter and Mercury, while the Lord of the Ascendant is endowed with strength, one so born will become a king. The Ascendant in question should be in a Dual Sign and be in Vargothamamsa.
28. The native, who has three, or four benefic planets in Vargothamamsa will become a king. These planets should be in Angles, not combust, be not weak and be free from the company of malefics.
29. Even, if a single benefic is in Vargothamamsa, the native will become a king, provided the planet in question is strong and be in aspect to a friendly planet.
30. The Full Moon in Cancer Ascendant not falling in inimical subdivisions, will make one a king endowed with gems elephants and horses, provided he has a benefics aspect, while all the other planets occupy Seershodya Signs.
31. If the dispositor of the Moon is in the 3rd, 6th, 10th, or 11th counted from the Moon herself, one born so will become a ruler comparable to Lord Indra provided malefics are bereft of strength and benefics be in Angles identical with Rāśis owned by benefics. Alternatively, these benefics instead of falling in such Rāśis may be in such Navāńśas ruled by benefics.
32. The native will become such a valorous king whose Army's very roaring will quake the earth, if in his radix all planets, being strong, occupy their respective deep exaltation points in aspect to friendly planets and without inimical aspects.
33. Should the Moon be in her deep exaltation degree in aspect to Venus, while all malefics are relegated to 3rd, 6th, 9h and 12th Houses, one will become a king.
34. If the Ascendant Lord and the Moon Sign Lord are together in an Angle at birth, in aspect to auspicious and friendly planets, unaspected by malefics and not being defeated by enemies, the native will become a plentiful king. Alternatively the Moon should be in Lagna and the Lagna Lord in the 9th thereof. The black forest bees consuming the ichor of his Army elephants will sing the glory of such native in all directions.
35. Find out, if the Ascendant is the exaltation Sign of any planet. If the planet in question is aspected by a benefic from an Angle a king is born. However, the first mentioned planet should be in own Navāńśa, or friendly Navāńśa, or exaltation Navāńśa.
36. Saturn with strength, the Sun, Mars, the Moon, Venus and Mercury, respectively, positioned in the second half of Capricorn, Leo, Aries, Cancer, Libra and Virgo will make one an emperor, who will be endowed with spotless fame protecting his population.
37. If all the planets are in Vargothamamsa and are radiant the native will become an emperor of the whole earth subduing all his enemies.
38. The subject will become a ruler, if the Ascendant Lord is in an Angle in aspect to a friendly planet, while the Ascendant is tenanted by a benefic.
39. Should Jupiter and the Moon be in Taurus identical with the Ascendant, while its Lord (Venus), is in his Moolatrikona (or in a Trine from the Ascendant) unaspected by the Sun, Saturn and Mars, the native will be a famous ruler controlling all his foes.
40. If at birth all planets, avoiding inimical and debilitational divisions, occupy their own, or friendly divisions in aspect to friendly planets, while the Moon is Full with her rays, the native will become a ruler.
41. If the Full Moon is exalted and is in Vargothamamsa, in aspect to a benefic planet, the person so born will become a famous ruler in the Dasa of the benefic planet in question. There should not be a strong malefic in an Angle in the said Yoga.
42. If the Lord of the Ascendant and the Moon Sign Lord with strength are together in an Angle, while the Moon occupies a watery Sign identical with a Trine, the native will become a king.
43. Should all the planets at birth be in their own Rāśis and in friendly Navāńśas, or vice versa, the subject will become an emperor.
44. Should all the other planets be in their deep exaltation points, while Mercury is in his exaltation Amsa, the native will rule over the three worlds, receiving honours from Gods and Demons.
45. One will become an emperor devoid of any foes, if the 4th, 1st, 7th and the 10th are, respectively, occupied by Vasishta (one of the Saptharishis), Jupiter, Venus and Agasthya (again one of the Saptharishis).
46. If the Full Moon is in her exaltation Rāśi, or in own Rāśi, or in own Navāńśa, while Jupiter posited in an Angle is in aspect to Venus, the native becomes a great emperor provided the Sun is in the Ascendant with strength identical with his own House.
47. Should the Full Moon receive the aspect of all the planets the native will live long and will not be subjected to adverse results, that may be caused by Kemadruma and such other Yogas.
48. The Sun approaching his exaltation Sign (i.e. being in the end of Pisces), while Jupiter and the Moon are in Cancer, the native will become a king endowed with various precious stones. In this Yoga, the Sun should be simultaneously in a Trine from the Ascendant.
49. Should six planets be in simultaneous exaltation, endowed with radiance and occupy their own Navāńśas, with strength, the native will become an emperor comparable to Yayati, Sagara and Vena.
50. Should all the benefics with radiant rays occupy the Ascendant, being not combust and unaccompanied by malefics, the native will become a ruler, who will take to penance in forests and hills. The benefics in question should occupy the Rāśi and Navāńśas of benefics.
51. If all benefic planets be in benefics' Rāśis identical with Panaphara Houses (i.e. 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th), while malefics occupy Dual Signs, the native so born will become a king, destroying all his enemies and be equal to Brihaspati (Jupiter) in terms of intelligence.
52. If the Lord of the Ascendant is in the Ascendant itself, or is in a friendly Sign in aspect to a friendly planet, the native will become a ruler, destroying his enemies, provided there is a benefic in the Ascendant.
53. If the Full Moon is aspected by Jupiter and be unaspected by others, while there is no planet in debilitation, the native will become a ruler. The said Moon should occupy Aries Navāńśa. This Raja Yoga is conceived by Yavanas.
54. If the Full Moon occupies an Upachaya House, i.e. 3rd, 6th, 10th, or 11th in exclusive aspect to Jupiter, while the Lord of the Moon Sign occupies the 10th, or 7th, the native will become a ruler.
55. If the Full Moon be exalted and aspected by all the planets the native will become a famous ruler endowed with a vast Army consisting of elephants, horses and armed men and will rule over the entire earth akin to Adisesha (the Divine Snake) painfully bearing the whole earth on its hood.
56. Should the Moon, being fully splendourous, occupy Leo Navāńśa, while all other benefics, devoid of malefic connections are angular from the ascending Sign, the native will become a ruler endowed with various elephants.
57. Should the Moon be with Jupiter in the 5th House, while Mars, Mercury and the Moon be not in fall in Rāśi and be in their own Navāńśas, one will become a king with everlasting fame. In this Yoga, Mars and Mercury should be in the 12th and, or the 3rd without combustion.
58. If three planets be in such Signs, which are not inimical, or debilitational, be with full strength, be aspected by benefics and be endowed with splendourous rays, the native will become a ruler.
59. If the Moon, who is in Vargothama Navāńśa, or in Cancer in Navāńśa, is aspected by a strong planet, while the ascending Sign is free from malefic occupation, the native will become an emperor endowed with physical splendour.
60. If the Moon is in a watery Sign/Navāńśa, while benefic is in the Ascendant and in his own Amsa, the native will become a ruler endowed with many elephants and the like. In this Yoga, malefics should, however, not be in Angles.
61. If the Full Moon occupies Vargothama position, the native will become a ruler of the earth whose horses' kicks will spread dust making even the brilliant sun in the sky look, like an early morning's Moon.
62. If at birth all planets are endowed with roles of Yoga karaka, the native will become an emperor. If one planet be so, he will rule a province.
63. Even, if one planet occupies its own Panchamsa, the subject will become a ruler. If all are endowed with strength he becomes an emperor. Notes: Panchamsa division is a little bit different from Trimsamsa. In odd Signs the Panchamsa (i.e. 6 degrees in length) rulerships are in order: Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus. The reverse holds good in the case of even Signs.
64. If the Moon is aspected by Jupiter from Taurus, the native will rule over the entire earth.
65. If the Moon is aspected by any planet from its exaltation/Moolatrikona/own Sign, even a hunter will become a king.
66. Should the Moon be in her own Rāśi and in her own decanate, one will become a ruler. If simultaneously a benefic is endowed with strength, the native will become a great king.
67. Should the Sun be in his own Navāńśa, while the Moon is in Cancer Rāśi, the native will become a king, endowed with elephants.
68. Even a villager will become a king, if he has Saturn in the Ascendant and Jupiter in the 7th, one of them being in aspect to Venus.
69. The native will doubtless become a king, if Venus rises in a Rāśi of Jupiter in aspect to Jupiter himself, while Mercury is in exaltation.
70. If the Sun, the Moon and Venus occupy one single House in exclusive aspect to Jupiter, the native will become a ruler.
71. One will become a ruler, if Mars, Mercury and Venus are in the Ascendant, while both the Moon and Jupiter are in the 7th in aspect to Saturn.
72. If strong Jupiter be in aspect to Mars, while the Sun is in the 10th in Aries, even a base person will become a ruler. However, it is necessary, that the said Jupiter be in Aries Navāńśa, or in Scorpio Navāńśa.
73. If the Moon, the Sun and Venus are in the 3rd House, while Mars and Jupiter are, respectively, placed in the 7th and 9th Houses, even a person of mean strata will become a king. The Ascendant in this case should be in Vargothamamsa.
74. One, two, three, or all of Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and the Moon occupying the 9th House with strength and in aspect to a friendly planet, the native will be a king akin to God.
75. If the 9th House is occupied by an exalted planet, or the said 9th House is in aspect to the planet, that will be in exaltation there in (in the 9th), while two others are independently in their Signs of exaltation, the native will become a king and a pater familias.
76. Should the 5th House be occupied by the Moon and Jupiter in aspect to its Lord, as Venus is in Pisces, even a person of base birth will become a king.
77. If the Moon is in the 3rd, or the 10th House, while Jupiter is exalted, the native will be a ruler of the entire earth endowed with Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth.
78. If Jupiter is exalted and is simultaneously in an Angle, while Venus occupies the 10th, the subject will be a famous king, lording over the entire earth.
79. One born even, as a Brahmin will become a king, if the full Moon is in her own House, while Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn are in the 4th House. The latter 3 should be in the own Navāńśas simultaneously and be aspected by the Sun.
80. If the Sun is in the 10th identical with his Moolatrikona Rāśi, or Venus, Jupiter and the Moon are in 3rd, 6th and 11th in own Houses the native will become a king.
81. If the 7th House contains a benefic planet and be in aspect to a friendly planet, while Mars is exalted, one will become a ruler of the earth. The benefic in question should fall in a friendly Navāńśa also.
82. Should the Sun, the Moon, Mercury and Mars occupy the 10th House and also friendly Navāńśas, while Venus is in the 9th House, the native will become a ruler, whose elephants' ichor will settle the dust emanating by their own treadings. In this Yoga, the planets in the 10th shall not be in fall, in enemies camps, or be in combustions.
83. Should the Sun endowed with strength be exalted in the 10th House in the company of Jupiter, as strong Venus is in the 9th House and in own Navāńśa, while the Ascendant shares benefic sub-divisions, or has a benefic planet in it and is aspected by Mercury, the native will become a ruler illumining the entire world with his fame.
86. One born in Abhijit star will become a valorous king even though he may be of base order by birth.
87. One born with the Moon in Krittika and simultaneously in Gandanta Lagna, or Vishti (Bhadra) Karana, or Parigha Yoga, or Vyatipata Yoga will become a king.
88. The Moon in the 4th House identical with Cancer, while Mercury, Jupiter and Venus are, respectively, in the Ascendant, 7th and 10th Houses: the native will become a king.
89-90. If all the planets occupy six alternative Signs from the Ascendant, Chakra Yoga is formed producing a king.
91. Should all the planets occupy the first six Houses commencing from the Ascendant, one will become a king. Should these be in only four Houses from the Ascendant, he will become a king's minister.
92. Should all the planets be relegated to the 5th, 4th, 3rd and 10th Houses, one will become a king endowed with wealth, sons, relatives, conveyances and servants.
93. Nagara Yoga is formed, if all the planets are disposed in the 10th, 7th, 4th and Ascendant, which will make one rule the earth.
94. Should the benefic planets be entirely in the 4th Ascendant and the 7th, while Mars, the Sun and Saturn are in the 3rd, 6th and 11th Houses, one born will become a ruler according to Yavanas.
95. A Raja Yoga known, as Kalasa Yoga is formed, if all benefics are in the 11th and 9th Houses.
96. Again a Raja Yoga named, as Kumbha Yoga is formed, if the 3rd, 5th and 11th Houses are occupied by one each, while the 6th and 7th are occupied by 2 planets each.
97. Explaned above are such Raja Yogas, which will make even people of base birth reach royal status. The following are royal combinations exclusively applicable to those of royal scion.
98. One will be a king receiving honours from the entire world, if the Sun, the Moon, Saturn and Mars are, respectively, in Leo, Aries, Aquarius and Capricorn. Jupiter in this Yoga should be in Sagittarius, or Pisces, while Leo be Ascendant.
99. If a single benefic occupies the Ascendant with strength, while other benefics are in the 9th and yet other planets be in the Ascendant, 2nd, or Upachaya Houses, one will become a king with perennial wealth. The elephants of his Army will rain ichor misleading it to be a cloudy atmosphere.
100. Should Jupiter be in the 4th identical with own House, while the Full Moon is in the 9th and others are in the 3rd and Ascendant, an intelligent king is born endowed with all kinds of wealth and conveyances.
101 A very famous king is born, if the Moon is exalted in the Ascendant, while Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Mars and the Sun are, respectively, in the 2nd House, Libra, Virgo, Aries and Leo.
102. A king famous for his virtues is born, if the Sun and the Moon are in the 10th, Saturn is in Ascendant Jupiter in the 4th and Venus, Mercury and Mars are in the 11th House.
103. If Jupiter occupies the Ascendant, other than Capricorn, one born will be a king endowed with elephants etc.
104. One will become a king, if Mars is in the Ascendant and Saturn and the Sun are in the 10th, while Jupiter, Venus, Mercury and Moon are, respectively, in the 7th, 9th, 11th and 4th Houses.
105. When even the weak Moon in exaltation can herself produce a king what of Full Moon in exaltation ?
106. If the Full Moon occupies an Angle other than the Ascendant, the native will be a king endowed with wealth, conveyances and valour.
107. If Venus is in aspect to Jupiter, the native will become a valorous king possessing many elephants.
108. Should Mercury be aspected by Jupiter at birth, the native will become a honourable king.
109. Should the Ascendant Lord in exaltation aspect the Moon, the subject will become a king endowed with wealth and conveyances and will conquer his enemies.
110. One will become a fortunate king and endowed with fame and success over rivals, if exalted Moon aspects both Mercury and Venus.
111. The subject will be a ruler endowed with perennial wea1th, if the Moon occupies the Navāńśa of a bosom friend in aspect to Venus.
112. For a day birth, if the Moon is in Cancer Navāńśa, or in a very friendly Navāńśa and is aspected by Jupiter, the native will doubtlessly become a king.
113. When even a Brahmin can become a king, if the Lord of Moon Sign is in Angle with strength, what doubt is there of a person of royal scion with a similar configuration becoming a ruler ?
114. Should the Sun be in a thick friend's Sign in aspect to the Moon, the native will rule over Anga (a province so named in olden days related now to Bhagalpur) and be endowed with wealth and virtues.
115. Should Mercury be exalted and be in conjunction with the Moon, the native will rule over Magadha (the southern part of modern Bihar) the ichor of whose elephants will spread perfume to all the corners.
116. If the Full Moon is endowed with strength the native will become a king, who will conquer his foes.
117. When even a cowherd will become a king, if the Ascendant Lord is strong and in an Angle, what is there then for a person born of a royal scion with a similar Yoga not to become a king ?
118. If Jupiter occupies Cancer identical with the 10th House counted from the Moon the native will become a Lord of the entire earth.
119. If the Sun is in Aries along with the Moon, the native will rule over the region consisting of Kerala, Karnatak andhra, Dravida and Chola (identified with the modern southern India).
120. If Jupiter occupies Cancer along with the Moon, the subject will rule over Kashmir.
121. If Jupiter and Venus are in their exaltation Signs, or in their own Houses a person belonging to royal scion will surely become a king. But one of these two Signs should be one of Angles, 9th, 2nd and 11th Houses.
122. If a benefic planet, endowed with directional, positional and temporal strengths, is in an Angle and be bereft of aspect, or conjunction of a malefic planet, the native will become a king. Alternatively, if 3 heavenly bodies be with such strengths occupy Angles, even then the native will become a king.
123. If Mercury, Jupiter and Venus occupy the 2nd Sign from the Sun, without combustion and without malefic aspects/conjunctions the native will rule over the land with 3 seas, as its boundaries.
124. If the Full Moon akin to a splendourous lotus (i.e. endowed with full rays) is aspected by her dispositor and by a strong benefic, the native will become a king skillful in causing injury to women's honour, be widely famous and be just.
125. Should the 2nd House be occupied by both Jupiter and Venus, one will become a king, who will overpower his enemies.
126. These Yogas, as explained supra will make a person of royal scion a king. The skies will be covered with the dust emanating by the treadings of elephants, horses and armed men of such native's Army.
127. If Mars and Saturn occupy the Ascendant, while Mercury, Venus and Jupiter are in the 4th, or, when Capricorn rises with Mars in it and the Navāńśa Ascendant is owned by Saturn himself, the native will become a king.
128. One will become the Lord of an island, if Cancer ascends with Jupiter and the Moon therein, while Venus, Saturn and the Sun are exalted, as Mars is in his own divisions).
129. If Jupiter and Venus together occupy Pisces, while the Full Moon is exalted (in Amsa), as the Sun occupies Aries in aspect to a malefic planet, the native will become a king and the dust emanating, as a consequence of the movements of his Army will cloud the Sun, so that the lotus will close its petals due to misconception of the sun having set.
130. If the 3rd and the 6th are occupied by fallen/inimical planets, while a strong benefic is in an Angle with due deep exaltation, as the Moon is in Cancer identical with the 10th House, one born during night time will become an emperor holding all the three worlds under a single (royal) umbrella.
131. Should Jupiter with his splendourous rays be in the Ascendant, while the Moon is in the 11th in aspect to Mercury and the Sun is in the 2nd from the Moon unaspected by Mars one will become an emperor of the entire earth endowed with elephants, horses etc.
132. The Sun with deep exaltation in Aries Ascendant along with the Moon and Mars, as Venus is in Taurus along with Saturn and Jupiter in the 9th in Sagittarius: this Yoga will produce a learned king, who will conquer his enemies.
133. A virtuous, famous and valorous ruler is born, if Mercury, Jupiter and Venus are together in the 5th, while the Sun and Saturn are in the 6th and 9th Houses in their order, as Mars is exalted.
134. If the Sun, Venus and Saturn, respectively, are in aspect to Jupiter, Moon and Mars, while a Movable Sign is Ascendant, a famous and successful king is born.
135. Mercury in Virgo identical with the Ascendant, Mars in the 3rd House, Saturn in the 6th House and Venus in the 4th House: this configuration will give birth to a king, who will conquer the world with his own strength.
136. One will be a king lording over the earth, if Saturn is in Capricorn Ascendant, while the Sun, Venus, Mars and the Moon are, respectively, in the 7th, 8th, Scorpio and Cancer.
137. A fickle minded king is born, if Mars is exalted in the Ascendant, as the 9th and the 7th are, respectively, occupied by Saturn and the Luminaries.
138. Capricorn Ascendant containing Saturn, Cancer containing its Lord and Jupiter, Virgo containing its Lord in aspect to Venus: this configuration will produce an unconquerable ruler.
139. Venus in the Ascendant, Jupiter in Sagittarius with friendly aspect and the Moon in Cancer: this group of heavenly bodies will make one a king, who will construct wells, tanks and temples and will honour Brahmins and Gods.
140. With even a single planet with unobstructed rays, if exalted in an Angle and the Sun being in Angle with extreme power in aspect to Jupiter posited in the 5th House, the native will become an honourable king.
141. If Saturn, Mars and the Sun are in the 6th, or even in the 3rd House, while Jupiter occupies the 11th House identical with Leo one will become a king conquering his enemies with his own might. In this Yoga, Jupiter should be aspected by other benefics, but not by the Luminaries.
142. If Libra is Ascendant with Jupiter in it, while Venus is in Taurus, a king is born. While the two heavenly bodies are so disposed at birth there be blowing pleasant breeze, the skies be clear and the other planets should be enjoying full rays and temporary friendship (by stipulated placements).
143. A famous king is born with the following planetary map: Mars, the Moon and Mercury in the 12th and the 3rd avoiding debilitation/combustion; but being in their respective own Navāńśas, while the 5th House is occupied by Jupiter and the Moon.
144-145. If the Moon Sign Lord and the Ascendant Lord be with strength and be posited in an Angle identical with a close friend's Sign and aspect the Ascendant, Pushkala Yoga is formed. The effects are: the native will become a king on whose invasion the band of elephants of his enemies will exude ichor perfuming all the corners.
146. If the Ascendant Lord is in the beginning of a Sign, the native will be an Army chief, or Justice with the king. If the planet in question be in the middle of a Sign, he will be the head of a state. He will only be a village chief, if the Ascendant Lord is in the end of a Sign.
147. The sun in Revati, Poorva Phalguni, Uttara Phalguni, or Moola identical with Ascendant will make one the head of a country extending to only hundred yojanas.
148. If Venus is in the Ascendant, one becomes a ruler, provided the planet in question simultaneously occupies one of the asterisms, viz. Krittika, Revati, Swati, Pushyami and Aswini.
149. If the Navāńśa Ascendant Lord be exalted in an Angle, the native will become an emperor. If the Lords of the Moon Sign and Ascendant are in an Angle, the subject will be a wealthy king.
150. If the Full Moon in Pisces is in aspect to a friendly planet, the subject will become an emperor whose orders be obeyed by all.
151-152. Should exalted Sun be in the 11th along with Jupiter, while Mars is in the 10th and the Moon with Venus in the 9th, a king is born. Even the celestial horses of the Sun-God's chariot will take pleasure at the pleasant smell emanating from the dust spread over on the earth by the treading horses the native's Army.
153. Even though the native may have been born out of wedlocks, the Moon with Saturn in an Angle will make on wealthy king.
154. One will become a king with broad chest defeating all his enemies, if the 2nd House contains Venus, Jupiter and Mercury, while relegated to the 7th are the Moon, the Sun (?) and Mars.
155. Strong Sun and Moon in Cancer, another planet with clear rays exalted elsewhere, Jupiter in the Ascendant and Mars in the 6th: the five heavenly bodies so disposed will make one a king whose Army's movements will cover the skies with dust.
156. If the Moon is in the 8th degree of Aquarius identical with a Trine one will become a king, who will be favourable to all.
157. If Mars is placed in the 7th degree of Aries, or in the 21st degree of Gemini, the native will become a king.
158. If at birth the Moon is positioned in the 15th degree of Aquarius, or in the 10th degree of Cancer, one will become a king.
159. A famous king is born, if Sagittarius 20 is occupied by Jupiter. Similarly Leo 15 occupied either by the Sun, or by Mercury will produce a king.
160. A valorous king is denoted, who will acquire kingdom with his own might, if the Moon is placed on the 15th degree of any Sign, but obtaining 5 Vargas of one and the same Sign.
161. If Saturn occupies the 5th degree of Capricorn, a fortunate king is born, who will be adorable on the earth, be meritorious and be interested in Shastras.
162. If both the Moon and Jupiter are on the 5th degree of Cancer, one will become an inviolable king, just as the Sun is head of the planets.
163. If the Moon is in Pushyami, or in Vargothama, or in Krittika, or Aswini Nakshatra an emperor is born. Similar effect will come to pass, when birth is in Tripushkara. Notes: The first Yoga is clear in this Sloka. The second one needs clarification about ‘Tripushkara'.
164. If Mars is in Aswini, or Anuradha, or Dhanishta, a Raja Yoga is formed. This applies only, if the said planet is in Vargothama Navāńśa, or in exaltation Rāśi simultaneously.
165. An excellent king is born, if the Moon with rays akin to white conch is in the 10th House, while strong Venus is in the 9th House and all others relegated to the 11th House.
166. If all the other planets are disposed in 3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th Houses counted from the Moon, a king is born, who will be a repository of honour and will rule over the entire earth.
167. If Jupiter, Moon and Sun, respectively, occupy 5th, 9th and 3rd Houses, when counted from Mars, the native will become a king, equal to Kubera (the Lord of celestial riches and regent of the North).
168. Counted from Mercury, if the Sun is in the 3rd, Venus in the 4th and all others in the 5th, a king is born, who will have 3 seas in the form of periphery for his land. In this Yoga, no planet shall be in fall, or in inimical Sign.
169. If the 2nd, 4th and 10th Houses counted from Jupiter are, respectively, occupied by Saturn, the Sun and the Moon, while all others are in the 6th, a prince will become a ruler.
170. If Mercury and Saturn are in the 4th and 8th counted from Venus, while all others are in the 3rd and 11th, one will become a king.
171. If Venus and Mercury occupy an Angle from Saturn, while the rest are in their exaltation Signs, an excellent king will be born.
172. If all the planets are in the 3rd, 5th and 11th Houses from the Sun, one will become a king, or a minister, or an Army chief.
173. Should there be a malefic in the 11th from the Ascendant Lord, who has clear rays, while a benefic is in an Angle (from the Ascendant), the native will become a king, who will have self-earned kingdom.
174. A virtuous king is denoted, with honours from other kings, if all malefics occupy the 11th, 3rd and 6th Houses counted from the Moon Sign Lord and be in aspect to benefics.
175. If Jupiter occupies Aries/Leo, while Mars is in his own Sign in aspect to the Sun one of royal descent will become a king. It is understood, that no other planet shall be in fall in the nativity.
176. If Sunapha Yoga etc. from the Moon are found operating in Angles, one born in a royal scion will definitely become a ruler of men.
177. Should the Moon and Jupiter be in an Angle from the Ascendant in aspect to Venus, the native will become a king with wide spread fame provided there is no debilitated planet in the nativity.
178. If Venus is in the Ascendant in aspect to Mercury and Saturn, while Jupiter is in the 5th, the native will become an emperor. However, the said Venus should be strong and in his own Navāńśa simultaneously.
179. If the Sun and the Moon are in their own Houses (while one of them is) in aspect to Jupiter, the native will become a king.
180. Mercury in Cancer and Jupiter in Sagittarius in aspect to both Mars and the Sun will make the native a ruler.
181. Should the Moon, Jupiter and Venus be, respectively, positioned in Pisces, Cancer and Aquarius, the native will become a ruler.
182. If Saturn is in Aquarius in aspect to Venus, while the Sun is in the 11th and the Moon in a watery Sign, one will become a king.
183. If Mars posited in his own House is aspected by Jupiter and the Sun, or Mercury posited in Taurus, if aspected by Jupiter, a ruler is born.
184. If the Full Moon is in her exaltation/own Rāśi, or Navāńśa and be aspected by 5 planets having temporary friendship, while no planet is fallen, the native will become a ruler.
185. Saturn in the 11th, Jupiter with Venus in the Ascendant, the Moon in the 10th, the Sun in the 4th, Mercury in the 2nd along with Mars: this configuration will make one a king endowed with vast Army, wealth and conveyances.
Thus ends the 35th Ch. entitled “RAJA YOGAS” in Kalyana Varma's Saravali.