Success and Defeat
1. The benefics placed in the 10th 7th and 1st houses bestow victory to the king residing in the city (i.e. one attacked). Saturn and
Mars placed in the 9th house cause fear and defeat but the benefics Jupiter, Venus and Mercury placed in the 9th house confer victory on him.
2. In the chart of query, the six houses beginning from the third belong to the citizens' king residing in the city who is being attacked. The six houses beginning from the ninth belong to the invader. The part conjoined with benefics gives victory to the party indicated by the same. The part containing malefics causes defeat to the corresponding party.
3. If both benefics and malefics are placed in these parts, mixed results are to be predicted. Some scholars state differently - malefics posited in 10th, 11th and 12th houses cause benefic results to the invader but produce malefic results to the citizens
4. Even if malefics are placed in anyone of the signs Gemini, Libra, Aquarius, Virgo and Aries, the invader gets success and the one who is attacked is defeated.
5. If there is a human sign on the ascendant and there are malefics in the quadrants, 12th house and 11th house the two parties will enter into treaty very soon. If malefics are placed in dual signs, enmity between the two parties will be the result.
6. If there is a human sign on the ascendant and the same is aspected by benefics or if there are benefics in the quadrants there is enmity between the two parties. If on the said ascendant, there is malefic aspect or if there are malefic planets in those places, enmity between the two parties is the result.
7. If there is a sign owned by a malefic on the ascendant and if the same is aspected or combined with malefics, a terrible war is to be predicted. If there be aspect of benefic planets over the same, the war will be a small one.
8. The Yavanacharya has declared that keeping the Sun, Wind, Jupiter and Venus on the back side one wins his enemies and attains fame.
9. If Saturn placed in quadrant, aspects Sun posited in another quadrant, the result is defeat. If the Sun be placed in the eighth house and is aspected by Saturn posited in a quadrant, death will be the result.
10. If the Sun in placed in the ascendant and the Moon is in the eighth house and if Mars and Saturn aspect them, defeat is certain to the querist. If the Moon is posited in the ascendant and the Sun is in the eighth house, aspected by Mars and Saturn, defeat would be the result.
11. Combination for the Victory of the Invader: If at the time of query Jupiter, Mercury, the Sun and Venus be placed in the houses, 5th, 4th, 3rd and 1st and if the Moon, Saturn and Mars be placed in the eleventh house the invading king conquers the defendant and carries booty, etc.
12. If Mars or Saturn is placed in the ascendant, Jupiter in the 5th, Sun in the 10th, and Venus or Mercury in the 10th or 11th house, victory over the enemies is certain.
13. If Jupiter, the Sun and the Moon are respectively placed in the ascendant, 6th house, and 10th house there will be success. In the same way, it should be understood that if Jupiter, Venus and the Sun are in the 1st house, 6th house and the 10th house, the person will have victory in war.
14. One will get an able minister or adviser if there is Jupiter in the 11th house and there are Saturn and Mars in the 10th house. If Mercury is placed in the 7th house, there will be victory.
15-16. If Mars, the Sun and Saturn are placed in the 3rd house and there is a benefic in the ascendant the querist will have success. Parashara has declared that the placement of the Jupiter in the ascendant and a malefic in the 11th or 10th house produces victory.
17. If Mars and Saturn are placed in the 6th house and the Moon and Jupiter are placed in the ascendant with Mercury and Venus in the 11th house and the Sun in the 10th house, there is definite victory.
18. Defeat and Death in War: The king will be defeated in war if the houses 9th, 5th and the 1st are respectively occupied by Saturn, the Moon and Mars. If the Moon and Saturn are placed in the ascendant aspected by Mars the king dies (in the war).
19. Other Combinations for Death in War: If there be Mars and Saturn in the eighth house and the Sun in the ascendant death results. Similarly, if the Sun and the Moon occupy anyone of the places 3rd, 11th or the 8th there will be death in war.
20. If Mars, Mercury and the Moon occupy the 7th house the king who goes on expedition to conquer dies. If Venus and Mars are placed in the ascendant enemies will increase in number and death from hunger results to the party attacked.
21. If there is a sign belonging to Mars or Saturn on the ascendant, and in the 6th house there is a sign belonging to Mercury or Venus and in the eighth house there is the sign belonging to the Sun, and if these places are occupied by malefics, in that war an intelligent minister of the king dies in the battle.
22. If there are malefics in the ascendant and the 5th house, the son of the querist surely dies. If the Moon occupies the ascendant along with Mars, and if they are aspected by Saturn he will be defeated in war.
23. If the Moon occupies the 7th or the 8th house and the Sun is placed in the ascendant or if the Sun occupies the 7th or 8th house and the Moon is the ascendant the king (who goes to conquer his enemies) and his army meets with fear, defeat and death.
24. If weak and eclipsed malefics are placed in the 2nd, 3rd and angular houses with the Moon in the 8th house then the king putting the query will be either captured or will be killed.
25. If Mars and the Moon occupy the 7th house and the Sun and Mercury are placed in the ascendant, there will be rift in the army. Similarly, if Saturn and Mars are placed in the 7th house and in the ascendant Mercury and Venus are placed, then also there will be quarrels in the army leading to defeat.
26. If all these planets (the Sun, Mars, Saturn and Mercury told in the previous sloka) be placed in the ninth house the king kills his minister and preceptor. In this very combination if the Moon is placed in the ascendant the king kills his preceptors, horses, artists, craftsmen and his sons.
27. If the Sun and Saturn placed in the ascendant receive the aspect of Mars and the Moon is placed in the 7th house and all the benefics are weak, the Commander-in-Chief of the king will be killed.
28. If the Moon is placed in the 7th house with the Sun in the ascendant, Saturn and Mars in the 8th house and Mercury is placed in third house, the king and his minister are killed in the war.
29. If a sirshodaya sign rises on the ascendant aspected by or conjoined with benefics and friendly planets and if strong benefics occupy the ascendant in the varga of benefics all things are accomplished. Under a reverse combination evil ensues. Other things may be considered with reference to the ascendant of travel and the natal horoscope.
Here ends Chapter VII of Daivajnavallabha entitled "Success and Defeat"