1. Having paid obeisance to Lord Narasimha who is fierce by his form and who is ever emitting fire from face, who is one without a second, and who is the over-lord of the entire universe, Sripati (Varahamihir) is writing this work Daivajna Vallabha dealing with the science of Horary Astrology.
2. The astrologer, who proclaims good and bad results after a deep consideration of the ten Avasthas (states) of planets and the results arising from the different houses, never goes wrong.
3-6. Planetary States: Diptha (shining), Dina (miserable), Swastha (comfortable), Muditha (happy), Suptha (sleeping), Prapiditha (troubled), Mushita (robbed), Parihiyamanavirya (with power declining), Pravriddhavirya (with increased vigour), and Adhivirya (endowed with extreme power) are the ten planetary states:
1. When the planet is placed in its exaltation sign is called Diptha.
2. When it is in its debilitation sign, it is called Dina.
3. In its own sign, the planet is termed Swastha.
4. In a friendly sign, it is called Mudhitha.
5. In an inimical sign, it is called Suptha.
6. When it is defeated in planetary war, it is termed Nipiditha.
7. While it is in heliocal setting, it is called Mushita.
8. While it is approaching its debilitation sign it is named Parihiyamanavirya.
9. While it is approaching its exaltation sign it is termed Pravriddhavirya.
10. The planet placed in the vargas of benefics after its rising, is called Adhikavirya.
7-8. Results of Planetary states Diptha, etc. : When a planet is in Diptha state full acquisition of the desired objects is to be foretold. If it be in the Dina state it indicates impending poverty.
If the planet be in the Swastha state, the object will be accomplished and there will be acquisition of wealth, fame and happiness in addition. If it be in the Mudhitha state, there will be all-round happiness, and the accomplishment of desired objects.
If the planet be in the Prasuptha state, there will be danger and accidents etc. If it is in the Prapiditha state, there will be troubles through enemies. If it be in the Mushitha state, there will be loss of wealth. If the planet be in Pravriddhavirya state there will be aquisition of elephants, horses, gold and lands i.e. wealth. If it be Adhivirya state, it bestows the three kinds of powers HINDI (the powers of energy, good-counsel and majesty) and extensive properties.
9-10. The duty of the querist : The querist should worship in his house, the planets and the rasi chakra (zodiacal diagram) and the stars with flowers, fruits, gold and precious stones. He should be full of devotion towards God and the planets and should offer homage to deities and preceptors. Carrying flowers, gems, fruits and sacred vice he should go to the astrologer and pay respects to him and with great reverence, facing an auspicious direction (east, north, etc.) he should put the query to him with a pure mind and that query should be put once only.
11. The astrologer should understand the good and bad results by considering carefully the syllables of the query as also the omens obtaining around and then proclaim the prediction for that time.
12. If the query is put in a place having charming trees laden with flowers, which is rendered pure by cow-dung, flowers and water and a place pleasing to the eyes, surely men will accomplish their desired objects without any doubt.
13. If the place is pleasing to the eyes and the mind, if there be sight of auspicious objects at the time of the query, good results in response to the query are bound to happen in near future thus say the acharyas Maya and Maniththa.
Thus ends the first chapter Prasnavatara (beginning of the query) in the work Daivajnavallabha of Varahamihira.